Wednesday, January 20, 2010

1 - Home

So, I have to admit. Yesterday I started getting really nervous. I was thinking about how I'm starting this new project, and it's all about photography and art and creative expression, and whatever my first photo is, it should be impressive, right? Or super meaningful. Or deeply thought-provoking. Or amazingly beautiful. Or... or... or...  The doubts just started piling up, thick and fast.

But then, I took a step back, and remembered that this is just the beginning. I'm just starting out. And this is meant to be an exciting, creative, uplifting project filled with lots of freedom and lots of fun. I'm sure there will be times when I plan out posts in advance, but there will be many times when I don't. I'm sure I'll have some great photos, but there will also probably be many ordinary ones. And that's how life tends to be, too. Up and down, in and out, hit and miss. It's what you do with it all that matters, right? I've always liked the quote from Thomas Edison when asked how it felt to "fail" 1,000 times as he worked to invent the light bulb:

"You misunderstand. I did not fail 1,000 times. I successfully
found 1,000 ways that the light bulb would not work."


I just need to relax, give myself some breathing room, and go enjoy it.  So, with that said, here's photo #1 - a view of our new house and block. Ours is the first full porch you see, with Josh sticking his head out the door and the paneling still out front, leaning against the rail. (Our neighbor, Jose, who lives on our old block (meaning 2 blocks away) insists he's going to take it and use it.) Oh, and yup, today's trash day, too - there's not normally that much trash lying around!  =)

Welcome to Hunting Park!  


1 comment:

Barb said...

It sounds like you have a perfect blueprint for this project. I like.